30.3.10

Jonesy

Ah yes, Jonesy. I remember him. Short fellow, strange purple tint to his skin. Yes, he was the wicketsman during my initiation in '47. Of course, back then we only had 5 minutes to complete the entire obstacle course. I did it with mere seconds to spare - I HAD to! There was no way I was going to wait another year to get in, so I jolly well gave it my all.

There I was, 6am one misty November morning, poised at the starting line with three other young chaps. I could only just hear the goading of the cadets over the buzz of my concentration. The crisp morning air burned through my nostrils like strong piss, and I began to sweat a cold, anticipatory sweat. It seemed like forever before the crowd started to settle, but eventually they did, and the head boy walked up to the sideline.

The whistle sounded a shrill peep signalling the beginning of the test. I unbuckled my standard issue corduroys, gritted my teeth, gave Jonesy a knowing wink and grabbed my ankles. You'll know I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the most painful experience I've been through in my entire, sordid little life. I ran as fast as I dare, trying hard not to suck the wicket up into more inaccessible areas, and at 4:56 I crossed the finish line. It took seven weeks to remove the splinters.

Aye, I'll never forget Jonesy...

7 comments:

Tora said...

uuum. Right.

Tora said...

OH AND BY THE WAY FOSS, MY ONLY FRIEND, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE NEW KEANE SONG?! You know! The "Stop For a Minute"

I am terribly torn, maybe I hate it a little, and then Tom sings so beautifully for a split second and I kind of like it. But right now I don't know what to think.

Heeeelp!

Anonymous said...

I caught you a delicious bass. I named it Honchie P Honchifer.

Candle said...

This website seems overly conservative. Please stop posting this kind of propaganda because it only helps the republicans.

Foss said...

Yes yes of course, because I am obviously a) American and b) as right wing as they come.

Now kindly fuck off.

Audun said...

I approve of this post!

Foss said...

I approve of your reply!