4.4.07

Fuck you, windows!

Switching on a secondary display in windows proved fatal, and completely hosed my installation. No safe mode, no last known good, nothing. So I had to reinstall.

Reinstalling killed grub, so my wonderful boot menu had gone. However, the internets saved me! If you've reinstalled Windows and it's killed grub, here's what to do:

Boot up the Ubuntu LiveCD
Open up a terminal
type the following:

--
sudo -i
grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
--

this will give you some shit like (hd0,1)
carry on typing, you lazy fucker!

--
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
quit
--

Now restart that badboy. Remember to take the LiveCD out of the drive! OMG!

Behold! It's asking if you want to boot into Ubuntu (the smart option) or windows (oh so ghey). Congratulations, you've unfucked what windows fucked. Woot! Now go celebrate with a nice glass of Port and Lemonade or something.

4 comments:

Tora said...

Dear Foss

I can't seem to access your site by typing

http://www.eatfoss.com

on my machine.
Where did it go wrong?!

Please help,
Otter-Potter

Foss said...

It works fine just here. Have you tried turning it off and on again? Have you tried using a real computer, instead of a mac?

Andytgeezer said...

I thought you'd given up windows for linux for good Fossman...

Foss said...

I can't give up Windows completely, as I haven't worked out how to use WINE properly. I will still want to play games, so Windows has to stay for now.